[3830] SS CW WX0B(K5GA) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 8 13:19:23 EST 2004

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: WX0B
Operator(s): K5GA
Station: WX0B

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: N Tx

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

I've never seen such long conditions for SS !! When VE9DX calls you using 5
watts and a vertical, and he's 10 over S9...well, I knew then that I was in for
a rough weekend.

When I went to 20 after the first hour on 15, I was met with no Qs....that's a
first for me. I thought about going to 40, but figured it would be too early for
NTx to get any rate since the 9s and 8s would be working each other. I wish I
had though and probably should have to keep up with N2IC and K5TR. But, I went
back to 15 instead...oh well, I'll never know now will I ? ( making note to
myself to try "anything" when faced with abnormalties )

Right after the start, I had RF getting into the keylines allowing both radios
to transmit at the same time....realized after a few minutes of screaming and
"stunned WTF-ness" that it was being caused when selecting the top antennas of
the 20 & 15 stacks at the same time. I'm sure there are some out there calling
me a LID.

No rate at all Sunday morning, and after the flare off-time, I realized that I
was faced with operating the last 9 hours without off-times ! I don't know how I
did it...it's these times that I think it would be best to have K5NZ's attitude
about the whole thing.

Nevertheless, it was fun.

The traditional Friday night Beckridge family outing and playing pine cones with
Lady are always great memories of my SS operating at WX0B....thanks again to Jay
and Sharon for allowing me to intrude once again. They always treat me like
family, and I sincerely appreciate it.

Congrats to N2IC and K5TR/N5RZ for their scores, and thanks to all for the
competition...and special congrats to N9RV, N0NI, and AK1W/K5ZD for doing the
extra hard work to keep up with us southerners !!

Just wait until 10/15 become useless !

PS...I need to find out how to become a "suspect"  :-)