[3830] SS CW N6WG Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 8 15:30:31 EST 2004

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N6WG
Operator(s): N6WG
Station: N6WG

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Newark CA

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

What a blast.  Even having to miss out on prime time, I still
managed to set an aggressive goal (at least for myself) and make
it.  I jumped way past my previous best with 347 Qs, 75 mults and
52,050 points.  This is the closest I've ever come to a sweep.
Of course, this still has to be scrubbed by the scoring folks, so I
expect to lose something due to miscopying :-)

Who says us ankle biters can't have fun in a big contest?  I was able
to work nearly every station I called, so it can't get much better
than that.  The vast majority of stations were worked S&P, as CQing just
wasn't productive at 5w.  I managed to eat dinner and breakfast at my
operating desk, so that helped me squeeze in 18 hours of "seat time".

I had to edit the entire log when I was done, as I incorrectly set the
shack clock, and then set the computer clock from it.  Somehow I missed this
during the practice sessions, for a new learning experience :-)

The (in)famous WimpyWire antenna system worked well, what there is of it.
The 60 ft dipole covered 80, 40 and 20m, while the 15m bisquare covered 15
and 10m.  Also, my 80m inverted L and 160m Flag loop worked well together.
My KRC2 band decoder kept my K2 and my homebrew antenna switching/matching
box stepping together, letting me jump from band to band instantly, just
like the big boys :-)

I really enjoyed hearing and working a bunch of "the usual suspects".
73, Bob N6WG