[3830] SS CW K6LA Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 8 18:56:40 EST 2004

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K6LA
Operator(s): K6LA
Station: K6LA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: LAX

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

I almost went low power because one of my Alpha 87A's wouldn't turn on when I
set up for SS on Friday and one that was in for repair didn't get sent out on
Monday for Friday delivery. Alpha tech support came through though with an email
with instructions for how to reset the amp to turn on. That was successful.
Unfortunately, 8 hours into the contest, I had the same problem. Even though 80
meters was REALLY good with east coast QRP stations making it into the log, I
decided to take an offtime to fix the problem. Same amp, same cable, same
computer, same serial port, same procedure, only this time the computer and amp
didn't communicate. So I was B- for the rest of the contest.

I missed last year's CW SS and had gotten off to an amazing start two years ago
with a 123 followed by 107 hour, both on 10 meters. I knew I wouldn't be able to
hit that mark, but I wanted to stay close. When I found 10 meters open at the
start of the contest, I decided to start there. That was mistake number one. It
was open, but the rate wasn't there and I waited too long to move to 15 meters.
I made the same mistake in the 3rd hour waiting too long to move to 20 meters.
My transition to 40 was terrible and the rate dropped to 58 in the 6th hour
before picking up again, only to run into Murphy hammering my amp.

I used my remaining offtime when the flare hit, and then, as others have noted,
got stuck operating 10 hours in the doldrums. Dueling CQs actually worked for me
for the first time. I went to that after I couldn't find 2nd radio QSOs on ANY
of the high bands.

Highlight was the easiest sweep ever at 0702. NNY was the last section. I found
VY1JA on 10 early in the contest. It only took 2 calls to get J. from SoCal. I
had THREE NL stations call in, along with a few KH6 and KL7s.

Lowlight was late in the contest. I was struggling to get a fill on a 2nd or 3rd
digit in a relatively low number from a KA1. Another station, much louder, was
on the same frequency and seemed to start sending just when my guy was sending
the digit I needed. After only 4 tries, the KA1 starts CQing. I dropped in my
call and NR? He sends "K6LA QSY." That REALLY pissed me off. I sent him a few
LIDs and moved on.

73, Ken, K6LA