[3830] SS CW N5ZC SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 8 21:47:28 EST 2004

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N5ZC
Operator(s): N5ZC
Station: N5ZC

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: WTX

I fit some time in between chores and helping my Wife watch our Nephews.

I operated my remote station which is located at my office.  I normally use
TRX-Manager for rig/rotor control but wanted to use Writelog for the contest.
So instead of firing up TRX I used remote desktop to connect to my office pc
which is connected to my station.  I first used TRX manager to turn on the rig
and engage the noise blanker and set the filter to 500hz.  I closed TRX and
fired up Writelog.  I didn't have any rig control other than using the mouse
wheel to tune the rig. I used Skype for audio which is great for SSB but so-so
for cw, it kind of clips the cw audio but it worked pretty well.  LP-Rotor was
used for rotor control. It has a compass so I know where the beam is pointing.

Operating remote makes it more enjoyable as I can stay home instead of lugging
supplies to the office for the weekend.

I S&P'ed most of the time to get the multipliers and a sweep.  I did call cq a
few times with pretty good results.

I'm getting ready for SSB in two weeks.  I installed a second sound card in my
office pc in hopes that I can get Writelog to use it so I can send the canned
ssb messages.  Skype will use the mother board sound card to get audio back and
forth between the remote site and home.  Hopefully I'll get it all working over
the next few days.

73,

Rich - N5ZC