[3830] SS CW N5AW Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 8 22:10:48 EST 2004

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N5AW
Operator(s): N5AW
Station: N5AW

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: STX

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

After putting in a full time effort in CQWW the weekend before I did not intend
to enter SS seriously. Gary, W5ZL, was to operate from my station. On Friday
Gary called to say he could not operate Saturday but could Sunday - perhaps we
could do a multi op? I have neither an amp nor packet but agreed to operate the
first 12 hours if Gary would operate the last 12 hours. However, when Gary
showed up Sunday morning and I had made only 600 Q's we decided our "M" score
was not going to be competitive. Gary thought it would be more fun to use his
own call as "fresh meat" rather than having 600 stations already worked. We did
not realize that by ARRL rules this is not legal - two calls can't be used from
the same station in one contest if they use the same transmitter. Apparently had
Gary brought his own rig they would have been legal but since he used mine they
were not. So W5ZL's 515 Q's were for naught as far as score goes. Doesn't seem
quite fair but that's the rule. Understand why it was put in but perhaps it's
time for a modification?