[3830] SS CW K1AK(WA2GO) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 9 00:14:57 EST 2004

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K1AK
Operator(s): WA2GO
Station: W2RE

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Poughquag, NY

Well!  I don't recall experiencing a sun-induced outage like Sunday's from down
here in the lower 48 before. Got used to it up in KL7 though, so I just plugged
away as if nothing happened, and tried not to worry about the fact that the
rate meter had gone from double-digits to single-digits, or that everybody
sounded like their rig was in a bathtub.

Started the contest aiming to better the ENY record, but it was not in the cards
for this year. Still had fun though, and W2RE was a fantastic host, going above
and beyond the call of duty by reconfiguring the station for me at 2000Z, and
then climbing towers and moving fixed beams for me right after the contest
started.

This was the 27th consecutive ARRL SS CW that I participated in. As a kid, I
fell in love with this contest, and so I set a goal of breaking a record for
that statistic. Now that my number is starting to get up there, I'm wondering if
somebody can tell me what the record is! I figure I have another 27 more left in
me, and another 27 after that is not even unrealistic! Not that I plan to stop
after I break the record, I'm just curious what it is...

John
WA2GO

p.s. Since I chose not to send "/2" after the call, I was curious to see how
many fills I had to give for my section (ENY).  Big mistake, because I ended up
repeating the section for at least 10% of the QSOs, and I don't believe it was
because of QRM.