[3830] SS CW K7BG Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 9 12:44:10 EST 2004

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K7BG
Operator(s): K7BG
Station: K7BG

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:

Club: Northern Rockies DX Association

Comments:

What a weekend! In the process of trying to get one more 15m antenna ready to go
a few hours before contest time, I did the stupidest thing I have ever done. I
was sawing some PVC with a hand power saw and decided to saw into my foot which
was holding the PVC. I knew I was going to do it before I did it. Incredibly
stupid. Anyway, I bandaged it all up and decided to take a closer look at the
damage after the contest. It doesn't look as bad as originally feared.

I also was coming down with a bad cold and ended up with a sore throat by Sunday
that felt like I was swallowing razor blades.

Had all mults in the bag by 1400z Sunday morning. I was looking forward to
hunting out all the new meat that shows up at the end of the contest. That was
not to be. I managed an average of 11 Qs per hour the last 3 hours. I couldn't
wait for 0300z to roll around. That's the first time I ever looked forward to
the contest ending. There were some loud signals on 40 meters the last hour or
two that I could not decipher. There was so much multipath echo and auroral
flutter that I litteraly could not make out the calls. I tried using different
antennas to receive thinking some of the multipaths would get attenuated, but to
no avail.

Worked 7 MAR mults and 4 NL mults! That's more than the last 5 sweepstakes
combined!

Looking back, breaks were taken at the worst possible time given the condx at
the end, but who knew?? Maybe I better look at those forecasts a little closer
next time.

Thanks for all the fun,

Matt--K7BG