[3830] SS CW N2NFG Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 9 16:35:11 EST 2004

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N2NFG
Operator(s): N2NFG
Station: N2NFG

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs):

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I wish this guy Murphy would stop dropping by whenever I want to play contest.
Right off the bat, no message keying. Worked fine when I loaded the buffers.
Port, interface, lines, all checked fine, but still had to do the whole thing
with paddles. Two hours into the contest, my sister calls to tell me that our
mother is in the hospital in NY. A couple hours later we find out she's OK and
back at home. OK, back to SS, maybe I can get the sweep and at least break 100K.
An hour later, the ICOM 751A goes south. Sounds like pre-aurora aurora. Must be
those trim caps. Switch to the 706MKIIG. That tinkling, almost musical sound
from the blowby of the puny 350hz filter is enough to drive you nuts. On top of
that, the rig locked up on 20 meters, no matter what antenna I used. 30 Qs on 20
testify to how well I solved that problem. Had a good run on 80, but my
enthuiasm was pretty much shot at this point. Set my new goal at 500 Qs and
maybe a sweep. Then the aurora hit. Ended up 5 short of 500. Missed Jay, VY1 for
the first time in years, VE2 was nowhere to be found, and...how the hell did I
miss SC?    73, Bob