[3830] SS CW VE1JF(W8MJ) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Nov 10 19:13:17 EST 2004

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: VE1JF
Operator(s): W8MJ
Station: VE1JF

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: MAR

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

This was my first year venturing beyond my QTH for doing CW Sweepstakes.  Having
been to VE1JF last year with a group of fellow MRRCers for CQWW Phone Contest,
Jim Fisher was so kind as to extend an invitation to me for this years runnning
of Sweepstakes code, since his wife was going to be away for the month visiting.
 VE1JF has a very well equipped station setup with a Yeasu FT-1000MP MK5 with an
Alpha 87A auto-tune amp at one location, and a FT-1000 MP with another Alpha 87A
 at the second position.

Outside, a single 110' guyed Trylon tower supports three Force 12 multi-monoband
antennas.  A C51XR at 110', a C31XR at 72', and another C51XR at 36'.  These
antennas are interlaced monobanders with separate feedlines, so the end result
is 2L/2L on 40M, 3L/3L/3L on 20M, 4L/4L/4L on 15M, and 7L/7L/7L on 10M.  All
three beams rotate - the top with an Orion 2800 rotator, and the middle and
lower antennas are TIC Ring Rotators.  On 80M Jim has a four-square array using
half-size Force 12 linear loaded verticals.  The stack arrays are controlled by
using Array Solutions StackMatches, and band selection is with Array Solutions
Six Pack.  Each station has a Dunestar six-band bandpass filter to protect the
receivers, and cut down on the inter-station interference.

The most striking aspect of VE1JF's location is that he is located on the edge
of a high bluff overlooking the Bay of Fundy.  The view is breath taking, and
this puts Jim top antenna at approximately 350' above sea level.

To make the trip even more enjoyable, I took along the XYL, who was so kind to
take on the cooking chores.  This also allow her the time to take in the scenry,
and walk through the many differnt boutiques located in Annapolis Royal. Plus
take in the breath taking view of Jim's place.

Once we arrived at Jim's place on Friday evening, I was anious to get my SO2R
setup in place.  In the middle of setting it up we lost power.  There had been
during the day, and continued to be gayle force winds coming in off the bay.  So
I grab a flash light, and finished setting up for SO2R operation.  Once that was
done, and still without power, I called it night and went to bed.  The next
morning I finishing checking out the station setup, and repairing a keying wire
line for the S02R setup.  Once that was complete, everything station wise seemed
to check out ok, and I was ready for 2100 UTC to roll around.

My strategy going into the contest was to run rate, and allow the mults to come
to me, and use the 2nd radio to fill in between the run radio, and also look for
those elusive mults.  Jim has such a tremedous station, that checking 15, and 20
meters yielded very strong signals from the states.  However, once the contest
started, I discovered that 20 meters seemed to be the band for running rate.
Operating 20M yielded 2 for 1 Q's compared to 15M, therefore I continued to run
20M until 0100Z, and then started with 40M.  Understanding that I was S&Ping on
the 2nd radio during this time as well between the other bands.  I finished up
the first evening with only 72 mults, and at the end of the first day still had
NT, VI, PR, VT, NNY, ME, NL, MAR to get.

I went to bed at 0725Z after the first night, because the rate really started to
drop off; and I made plans to get back on at 1200Z to start the day.  When I
woke up I discovered that we were without power. Jim had done some
investigating, and discovered due to the gayle force winds the Province had a
scheduled power outage to do some work on the power lines in the area, and the
power was due to come back on between 13:00 and 13:30Z.  As planned the power
did return approximately 13:20Z, and I was back on the radio.  I was running on
40M, and doing S&P between 15M & 20M.  I picked up WP3R on 15 right away, and
began to pick up some of the other needed mults.  40M was good for about an
hour, and I found myself back on 20 meters.

Approximately, 1520Z I found VY1JA on 20M working someone, while CQing 15M.  I
attempted to dump my call a couple of times, because Jay was S7 on meter, and I
figured there would be no problem trying to get him. However, Jay said dwn 2, so
I went down two, found a clear frequency, and started cqing.  However, no VY1JA
ever answered the call.  Sortly thereafter, the X2 flare took effect, and
virtually nothing could be heard on the bands for a few minutes.  Never did hear
Jay after that, nor could I found him, or KP2 on the 2nd radio with all the
S&Ping I did.  I figured with the flare I lost about 100-125 q's.

I certainly hope that VE1 made it into many logs.  I certainly wanted to make
sure that VE1 was well represented.  I certainly had a great time operating
Jim's find station. I was hoping to hit in the 1300 range on q's, and only a
return trip sometime in the future will tell if Jim's schedule permits.

A big thanks to Jim VE1JF for allowing me to come in, and setup for S02R for
operating is fine station.  It was a lot of fun, and as always I enjoyed another
great Sweepstakes.  Looking back I figured this is my 20th year at Sweepstakes,
and I continue to look for many more to come.

Thanks for all of the q's.

73's Ken W8MJ

See everyone in SSB from my home QTH W8MJ.