[3830] SS CW W6KC SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Nov 11 02:36:23 EST 2004

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W6KC
Operator(s): W6KC
Station: W6KC

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: LAX

Last year I put in a full-time SS effort operating portable from Mammoth Lakes
(SJV Section) in the High Sierra of central California.  This year it was just
part-time from the LAX home QTH.

I made about half of my total QSOs during the first two hours of the contest and
then coasted in S&P mode primarily looking for the sections I still needed. It
took about 1/2 hour to get my QSO with VY1JA in the log at 0045Z on 20CW.  I
really couldn’t break the pile-up until the propagation shifted to favor the
west coast.  Saturday night I took a four hour break to watch a football game
(Go Trojans!), but I kept an eye on the Internet for spots on any of my missing
sections.  After the game I put in a few more hours and when I quit for the
night I was just missing ND and QC.  Sunday morning I found WB0O and then VE2AWR
for the sweep.  Due to a family commitment, I didn’t operate Sunday afternoon,
but from the reports, it sounds like it was a good time to be QRT.  I have been
doing SS CW since I was a teenager in the 1960’s.  It’s always one of my
favorite hamming events.

73, Jim, W6KC