[3830] SS SSB K5YAA Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 22 14:20:32 EST 2004

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K5YAA
Operator(s): K5YAA
Station: K5YAA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: OK

Club: Oklahoma DX Association

Comments:

My log will be a big checklog as I started out A power Unassisted but:

1. After being on 40 meters a brief while couldn't stand the humiliation so
switched on the amp.  Went into the HP category on 40.

2. Nearing a sweep sometime early Sunday I took a peek at some spots and sure
enough there was a /VY0 NWT on 20 meters.  Went into the U category on that
one.

3. Had to call my son late Sunday to get on and give me Oklahoma for a sweep!
Went into the that ain't fair category on that one.

4. Went from SOLP to SOHP to SOHP Unlimited all in the same contest but kept
signing A since that's what I started with.

Now for something from the Twilight Zone.

Shut off the rig at 6PM Sunday.  Fiddling around about 7:30 I took another look
at some spots.  Saw that K0JPL was looking for Oklahoma for his sweep.  It read
something like Oklahoma PSE!!!  Frequency 7.233 - took a look but no K0JPL.
Enjoying this radio stuff I switched up to 75 meters just to see what kind of
activity was going on.  It's usually fun listening to the land owners complain
about them contesters.  Saw that a MS station was spotted high in the band and
sure enough the MS station was there.  Wow, this spotting stuff seems pretty
easy.  While listening to the MS station I heard a "Is the frequency busy?"  I
think one of the land owners said Yes.  The asking station slipped up 1 KC and
ask again.  Another land owner spoke up.  One more KC up nobody said Yes - and
all of a sudden a CQ Oklahoma started up.  Don't know what the odds of this
happening are but here was K0JPL CQ'ing for Oklahoma on 75 meters after leaving
40.  For SSB on 75 I use a tuner on my 80 Vee.  Didn't even touch it and left
the amp off.  Hollered at JPL asking if he could hear me.  SWR was Much:1 and
maybe 20 watts forward.  He recognized the call and knew he had his OK for a
sweep.  I didn't realize what really happened until he gave me number 80.  He
made a sweep with 80 Qs.

Maybe K5NZ can tell me what the odds of that happening are unless he is still
recovering from the digital ant bites on 20.

73 - K5YAA