[3830] SS SSB NM6E SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 22 19:52:06 EST 2004

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: NM6E
Operator(s): NM6E
Station: NM6E

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: San Francisco

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Having prepared the station for CQP in October, the station was ready to go for
SS CW and SS SSB in November.

The one thing I was trying to figure out was how will I get on if my wife goes
into labor during the CW weekend?  She was due the 5th of November.

Unfortunately, there was a much higher power that affected our entire lives and
put my SS CW efforts on hold until 2005.

On October 30th, I visted my parents house and was in shock to see my father in
a rapidly degrading state of health.  Hence, I didn't get on at all for CQ WW
SSB tending to him at home and trying to convince a strong willed father to go
to the hospital.

On November 1st, he willingly let me take him to the hospital. They directly
admitted him into the ICU ward in San Francisco and we found out his kidney's
had stopped working (he had a check up at the nephrologist just 2 weeks earlier)
and his respiratory system started shutting down.

Some of you had met him during my various antenna parties, since I first started
hamming back in 1986 in high school in San Francisco. He always helped me with
my projects, building antennas, making my 'homebrew roof tower in San Francisco
and retrofitting here in Petaluma, building my operating position, asking how I
did in the contests I participated in and in general to see the 'fruits' of his
labor etc thru me.

Javier P. Campos, Sr, passed away on November 9th peacefully, 12 hours later his
first male grandson was born. It truely was a bitter sweet experience.

I got on to participate in the club's effort to honor my dad's dedicated support
of my ham radio career and love of 'our hobby'.

Although my heart wasn't totally into it, I know he would have wanted to me to
participate in something that I enjoy very much and something that gave him
constant 'projects' to keep active and use his skills.  My father wasn't a ham,
but he was very much at heart.

In the end, I was glad to give out Q's to the NCCC gang and I am planning on
putting in a dedicated effort during every ARRL SS, especially here for the
NCCC. My station reflects his efforts, ideas, desire to do things right and I
hope to add to the NCCC count as much as I can in the future.

I only put in 7 hours total due to tending to my new son, Xavier and his second
week of life, taking care our our 20 month old daughter and spending time with
our immediate family in San Francisco.

Having not had time to read the reflector for the 80/40m rendevous, I missed it
but did get on at other times and work quite a few KB'ers after some folks
posted me milling about the bands.

I also was in the hunt for mults and the spots posted only had the call and not
the sections. i found myself looking at 3 screens, logging, packet window and
the mult window.. Not remembering the band map feature of writelog, i didn't
take advantage of it. I did have the laptop fully integrated to the radio and
the point and click of the mults window to the frequency was quite nice. Makes
me wonder why I didn't do it sooner but having been out of the country for most
of this year, didn't allow much time to play.

The ARRL SS CW & SSB contests will now always be a 'special' contest for me with
the loss of my father and the birth of my son.

I want to thank everyone for their efforts and I only wish I could have added
more to the club score as I am sure my dad would have asked 'how did you do?'
right after the contests.

RIP: Javier Campos Sr. 1933-2004

Antenna's: M2 KT-36XA, M2 40M1-LA, 80m Dipole
Rig: Yause FT-1000MP MK-V
AlphA-87A
Writelog 10.50D

Javier, Jr. NM6E