[3830] SS SSB N5TW(KC5YKX) Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 22 20:26:36 EST 2004

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: N5TW
Operator(s): KC5YKX
Station: N5TW

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Georgetown, Texas

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Wow, what a different kind of contest with 5 watts. Managed to get some good
runs on 15 and had a couple of semi decent runs on 20. 10 tied to open but just
could not get there. 40 was a busy place with no where to run for a QRP station.
80 was getting blasted with static crashes and even the beverages where noisy.
Spent my time 50/50 on run and S&P.

Tom's fine station made QRP a lot more easy than it would have been from my
house. The stacks in spray array really help and if I needed a station I could
point more than the 1 antenna at them and get it done with less pain. The only
draw back to the N5TW station is the 4 square on 80 which is not the best
antenna for 80 and it made it even more difficult with 5 watts. The Orion played
really nice and the filtering in that radio is top notch.

The sweep was in reach but I just could not find that VE5 to complete. Of ALL
the mults to not get! I think I could have been at peace with not getting the
sweep had it been NT or NL but NOT SK! I need to stay in the chair for longer
stretches of time. I got up way to offten but being QRP makes being slothful
easier.

Seems that more and more folks are coming out to play in SS and that is a good
thing but it makes for some really crowed bands. It also makes for some really
lousy signals. I heard MANY bad signals on ALL bands. Overmodulated,
undermodulated, overdriven, RF on the audio, you name it I heard it. I tried to
share this info a couple of times with those who where not clean and was met
with indifference. Oh well, I did not tell anyone after that as I thought it
would be a waste of time.

I got lots of compliments on having a BIG QRP signal but all the credit goes to
Tom of course and his BIG station. Thanks Tom, I had a blast.

TenTec Orion @ 5 watts
5/5/5 on 10M
6/6/6 on 15M
5/5/5 on 20M