[3830] SS SSB WE9V SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 22 23:52:40 EST 2004

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: WE9V
Operator(s): WE9V
Station: WE9V

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: WI

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Wasn't really excited about operating this one, but wanted
to get on for a while anyway.  Sure enough, once I start,
that excited feeling comes back a bit, but not enough to
overcome the lack of sleep due to a 4 month old daughter
and an XYL that insists that I have plenty of family time
each day.  She did leave me alone for a bit both days when
she and baby went Christmas shopping, so that was nice.

20M was unbelievable from here.  I've never spent that much
time on 20M in SS before, nearly doubling my normal 20M
line.  Conversely, 40 and 80M numbers were the lowest
I've ever had.  Very non-typical from the upper Midwest.
But 20M was nice...no pig farmers, no BC, and it the skip
zone was decent East and West.  Saw no reason to leave it.

Highlight:  Sitting on 14182.2 for 6 hours straight Sunday,
with decent rates (70-100/clk hr), not getting up to eat, drink
or pee.  (I forgot to bring any food/drink to the operating
position, I had no idea that my wife was going to let me
operate that long so I was unprepared for that long chair
stay.)

Lowlight:  Being run off of 14233 earlier, after asking if
freq in use, hearing no answer, after making 9 QSOs in
4 minutes, then the SSTVers decided that it's QRL bitching
at me.  Then getting jammed by some noise that definitely
wasn't SSTV.  Moved and found that nice 14182 freq noted
above.

Highlight:  Later listening to a string of Beavis and Butthead
being played back on 14230 for quite a while.  I hope the
SSTVers liked that dose of their own medicine.  "ARE YOU
THREATENING ME?"  "DON'T

Highlight:  Being able to work VY1JA/QRP in the first few minutes
of contest, then having VY1CQ and VE8NSD call me few minutes later
almost back to back.  THREE NT's in the log in the first 24
mintues of the contest.  Wow.

Highlight:  70 mults in the log in 2hrs 45min.  79 mults in log
in 4.5hrs.  Not exactly a lowlight:  last mult in log 3 hours
later.

Overall, very fun, especially when you don't chug away during
those last hours.  14 hours makes it still interesting, as does
the SMC chatroom for the M's and U's.  Keeps it very fun.

Chad WE9V
http://www.we9v.com

Some stats:

Last 5 sections worked, and # worked by end of 'test:
MN	19   (mult #75)
ON	11
SD	6
RI	6