[3830] CQWW CW GU4CHY SOSB/20 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 29 08:07:23 EST 2004

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: GU4CHY
Operator(s): GU4CHY
Station: GU4CHY

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

   20: 2221    34      110
Total: 2221    34      110  Total Score = 601,601

Club: chiltern DX club

Comments:

First single-op effort in 24 years! And therefore first, on my own, with this
computer logging malarky. For a Luddite like me that was a more scary prospect
than the contest itself.
Decided to operate 20m only, to break myself in gently. Conditions I found
average rather than good, and I failed miserably with Africa. Apart from the
5U5Z beacon I heard nothing south of CN and therefore missed ZS for an easy
double mult. Virtually all my missed zones were African ones. Band closed here
by 19.30Z both evenings.
I think I needed another dozen or so multipliers to be in with a shout - maybe
should have done more search and pounce on the first day - what is the general
feeling on this?
Murphy was thankfully absent, the only technical problem being a sticky + button
on the keyboard, so apologies to those I sent "R de GU4CHY" to several times in
succession.
Just one final thing, now that Bob Heil has perfected Quiet Phones, can he do
the same with cookies? Munching Hob Nobs with headphones on does not help when
trying to work a pile-up of weak and watery JAs!
Right, back to the computer to work out how to do the sending-in bit.

Rig: FT1000MPMkV, Acom1000, TH6

Raw score GU4CHY, 20m single band high power:

Q:2221 Z:34 C:110 Points: 601,601

Dick GU4CHY