[3830] CQWW CW AK0M SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 29 11:15:58 EST 2004

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: AK0M
Operator(s): AK0M
Station: AK0M

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Iowa

  160:    3     2        2
   80:    8     5        4
   40:   56    13       30
   20:   89    22       43
   15:  106    23       53
   10:   43    17       27

Club: Eastern Iowa DX Association

Comments:

FT-1000MP MkV Field (75-100W)
FT-857
IC-706MkIIG
2el tribander at 33ft
Butternut HF6V 160m-10m ground-mounted with about 35 radials
half-sloper at 30ft for 160/80/40

My rate was more on par with what I would normally expect to do with QRP. Never
could get a run going, and didn't hear much EU on 20-10m (but I didn't operate
much in the mornings either). Maybe the stage of the solar cycle, maybe
propagation condx, or maybe just my station capabilities and operator skills?
Seemed like a lot of work for what QSOs I was able to get, although I didn't
find the pileups to be generally too difficult. 40m was very good on Friday
evening. Worked 73 different countries, and only missed about 10-12 more (mostly
long path) simply due to not enough station.

The sloper worked very well, especially on 40m. Was better than the vertical on
all three bands (160/80/40). Often made the difference in making the QSO or not.
The little, low tribander still seems to be a big performer into Africa on 15m,
often breaking significant pileups on the first or second call.

Working S&P almost exclusively, my biggest peeve is the few DX stations that
don't sign their call very often; there was a station in zone 7 that was
especially notorious for this. I know this can be an effective pileup management
technique, but it seems like signing your call at least every 3 or 4 QSOs ought
to be the rule. Many times I just gave up waiting for a callsign and moved on
without logging the QSO. I lost my only zone 40 QSO this way, with the station
never signing his call and then leaving the frequency (bummer).

Was a fun contest, though. First time I've been able to spend more than just a
couple hours in a contest all year.