[3830] CQWW CW K7NV SOAB(A) HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 29 13:29:20 EST 2004

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K7NV
Operator(s): K7NV
Station: K7NV

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: NV

  160:   13     6        6
   80:  155    22       38
   40:  396    30       74
   20:  247    36       87
   15:  325    28       66
   10:  243    23       45

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Wasn't really ready for a full blown effort, but just couldn't let this one go
by without a try.

I tried assisted with telnet on my laptop just for fun. Packet wasn't connected
to TRlog, just on the side like the old fashioned way. It made some of the
boring periods a bit more entertaining, but there aren'y many spotter on when
it's boring.

Best 80m condx I've ever seen here for this contest Friday night.
I took a nap after the Sat am JA run on 40 got thin. Overslept and missed
sunrise. Bummer!

It started snowing around 9am Sat morning and put 6"-8" on the ground by 3pm.
The snow static was not much fun. I never tried to run EU, just S&P'd the loud
stations I could hear.

After the snow stopped, I had an intermittent 10 over S9 noise source fire up
towards JA. That made the JA runs on 10m - 20m real fun, anyone not running an
amp, got to give me fills, usually several times. I put my boots on and ran up
and down the block beating on poles with a sledge hammer to no avail. Later I
found that the source must be pretty far away because it was real loud on the
TH7 @ 45' but not so bad on the homebrew C3 @ 25', so I used the little feller a
lot.

Later in the evening the noise stopped, then it got going again, full on (no
quiet times) Sunday morning after the sun came up and lasted all day until the
snow & ice melted off the power lines. The last 3 hours of the contest was quiet
again, yea!

Temp got down to freezing in the shack Sunday morning (low teens outside), but
with a space heater between my legs and a blanket draped over us, it was
semi-cozy.

Sat afternoon during the JA run on 15m the Alpha 78 went kaboom, sparks flying
out the top. The fuses checked out ok, I turned it off and fired it up again and
it worked just fine. Probably just another spider trying to stay warm (same
thing happened a few years ago).

One of my TS930's went numb on recv Sunday. After futzing around for a while, I
picked up the front of the rig and dropped it on the desk and the receiver came
back, so did the S meter lamp which hasn't been on for years. So. I'm really
glad I got on for this contest to get that fixed!

Thanks to everyone for all the fun, even the freq fights!

This is just such a great contest. Having a bad weekend in it is still better
than missing it!

73, Kurt