[3830] CQWW SSB P40A(KK9A) SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 30 15:24:36 EST 2004

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: P40A
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: P40A

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Aruba

  160:    8     4        8
   80:   26     8       20
   40:  195    16       48
   20:  982    31       81
   15: 1291    27       85
   10: 1363    25       84

I arrived in Aruba a week before CQWW with plans to add another antenna to my
collection - a homebrew 16m freestanding top loaded low band vertical for 160m.
Unfortunately I was not able to get the concrete base installed until several
days after the contest so I strung up a low dipole instead.  The contest was off
to a slow start and I was very tempted to change to the LP category, however I
finally found a quiet spot on 20m outside the U.S. sub-band where I was able to
slowly run European stations.  40m, 80m and 160m were more of a struggle and I
made most of my QSO’s there by S & P.  I made only one US 160m QSO (Thanks
NQ4I).  On Saturday, 10m and 15m were very hot and I had no trouble running
Europe.  When the bands closed to Europe I was able to run U.S. stations at a
very rapid pace.  On Sunday morning I realized that I had a chance to break
P40W’s world record if I could work a lot more multipliers.  I spent more time
searching and pouncing or screamed my call but fell short of the record.  The
contest was a lot fun and it was nice to see P40W / W2GD and P49Y / AE6Y again.
 I spent a lot of this trip doing maintenance around the house, however I did
try to take a break every afternoon and go to the beach and I enjoyed some nice
restaurants in the evenings with my wife.

73,
John KK9A / P40A
p40a at iguanavilla.com
http://www.iguanavilla.com