[3830] CQWW CW GM0F(GM4AFF) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 30 15:42:52 EST 2004

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: GM0F
Operator(s): GM4AFF
Station: GM4AFF

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:

  160:   64     8       47
   80:  607    16       61
   40:  478    25       85
   20:  548    26       74
   15:  245    23       66
   10:   58    16       38

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

The 29 hours 'on' total says it all. I really couldn't hack it this year. Must
be old age setting in. Lets hope that's all it is! I was very disappointed not
to be able to keep going for at least 40hrs. I felt as if the equipment was
finally all working well, antennas worked well, and again, it was I who failed.
Last year was nearly as bad at GZ7V. New beverage to NA worked like a dream on
80m. Also I tried a Ewe antenna on 040deg (JA/UA0) and that helped a lot more
than I had hoped for, even on 160m. Other improvements included the FT1000MP
Noise Reduction mod, new Inrad filters, new Heil BM10 lightweight phones (thanks
W0GJ), stubs and an ICE419a on the 2nd radio, all of which made a huge
difference to operating comfort and mult hunting.
I was pleased to see 10m open quite early on Saturday, but it never really took
off, and couldn't support a run. None of the bands were leaping. 20m was dead
here before 1800, and never really provided any great runs. Nice to work VK on
160m though, but no NA, although I heard a VE1 call someone, and he was loud.
Even one NA Q would have been nice. Also pleased to work zone 32 on a few bands
for once.
Maybe I need to look at doing a single band entry, but I'd much rather enter a
24 hour SOAB section! I can think of a reason not to do ANY single band from my
QTH!
Maybe next year I won't work Friday and I will get some sleep before the event!
But as usual, in spite of my 'doing a Radcliffe', I really had a great time.