[3830] CQWW CW DL8MBS SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 30 17:25:10 EST 2004

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: DL8MBS
Operator(s): DL8MBS
Station: DL8MBS

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Erfurt

  160:   53     5       28
   80:  172     8       42
   40:  104    10       47
   20:   85    10       33
   15:   53     9       21
   10:   14     4        5

The little pistol world: Having no shack at home and no permanent antenna I
strung a "4 in 1"-wire-antenna across the backyard. Then I put the rig, two
antenna-tuners and the paddle on a board (/p at home) and occupied the kitchen
table - as long as there were no conflicting
interests... Made even some QSOs with our two daughters on the knees - CW has
some real advantages :-)

With the condx most of the time unfriendly to qrp I skipped most of the
(cluster-fuelled?) pile ups on the expeditions. Being away from the hobby for
some years it still amazes me how out of the blue a qrg turns into chaos (so
much about "Cluster rocks"). But there were also fascinating 40 minutes around
0000 sunday on 40 m with 14 DX-Stations in a row all at the first call (little
pistol´s fun). Also thanks to K2LE and VO1TA pulling my signal out on 80m -
thanks to all the other patient ops, too. Besides showing hamspirit this
patience hopefully may also pay out for them in the score in times of decreasing
rates. There were quite a lot of other stations unwilling to send "?" or "DL8
agn" more than once before fruitlessly CQing for minutes...

Rig: IC 718 reduced to 5 W out
Ant: 40 m lw with 10 m vertical open-wire used as:
-OCF-doublet,
-T (with shorted feeder)
-two different Inverted-L-shaped longwires fed via one of the feeder lines

And now back to the big scores.

73, Chris