[3830] CQWW CW VE3JM(@VE3FU) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 30 22:47:51 EST 2004

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VE3JM
Operator(s): VE3JM
Station: VE3FU

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: ON

  160:   86     8        8
   80:  523    19       58
   40:  532    26       73
   20:  794    29       84
   15:  816    26       90
   10:  202    23       49

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Many thanks to Chris for letting me operate the contest at his nice station.
Chris lives only half an hour from Ottawa, but still has space for all kinds of
antennas. The most impressive are 4 Beverages in 4 major directions.

All of the antennas played very well. That's amazing considering that Chris
never used an amp from his location. Only a bit of RFI on 160 with full power. A
weekend before the contest we prepared a full size 80 m vertical with 32
radials.

The conditions were poor, but still had a lot of fun. Slept longer than usual.
The second night felt tired after low rates and took a break at 2:30 AM for 3.5
hours. Managed to sleep for 3 hours. Felt fresh the second day, could do it more
after the contest was over :-)

The highlight of the weekend was working 2 JA stations on 80. Never even heard
JA in 5 years of operating in VE from my tiny city lot.

For some reason there is a strong side tone present in my receiver when using
the Inrad filter. That forced me to operate without the filter on 40. Was not
able to use the beverages on 160 either, a preamp is required to use them on my
rig.

Many thanks to everybody who called. If there was no US stations, there would
not be too many stations to work from here.

Congrats to VO1AU, VE3EY, VY2NT and all the others. I am happy that I was able
to achieve about the same score as a friend of mine Nick VE3EY.

Equipment:
160:      inverted-L 68' high, Beverages in 4 directions - couldn't use them
:-(
80:       full size vertical
40:       4 square verticals
20/15/10: EX-14 @ 68'