[3830] CaQP K6LA Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 3 21:29:46 EDT 2004

                    California QSO Party

Call: K6LA
Operator(s): K6LA
Station: K6LA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: LAX

  160:    2       1
   80:  122      94
   40:  252     110
   20:  298     679
   15:  211     370
   10:   96     226
--------------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Congratulations to N6ED @ K6NA. Looks like I lost this contest in the 1st 3
hours as I was down 90 QSOs the first time I worked Craig a little over 3 hours
in and finished that way. With 20/20 hindsight, it appears I should have started
on 20 meters instead for trying to simply go with the highest band open.

I wasted some time Saturday night when the right radio decided not to work on 80
meters and the ANC-4 on the left radio broke and made the left radio deaf. I was
lucky to discover the ANC-4 was the problem when I serendipitously turned off
the ANC-4 before turning off the radio and noticed as soon as I did signals
popped up on the bandscope.

I also found I couldn't tune up on 160 m, which cost some Qs and time.

Other excuses include keeping one eye on the Dodger - Giant game Saturday
afternoon. That 9th inning sure was distracting. You must understand, I'm a born
in Brooklyn Dodger fan and moved to LA because it was good enough for the
Dodgers. When Finley hit the grand slam, I got to yell into the radio "The
Dodgers win the pennant, the Dodgers will the pennant!!!" OK, so it was the
division, not the pennant, but close enough for recreating 1951 and yelling into
the radio.

I had an ant invasion Saturday evening. When I went to make a sandwich for
dinner, I found hundreds of ants on the plate I used for lunch. Raid doesn't
leave the shack smelling real good.

Then on Sunday I knocked over my full iced tea glass which broke on the
operating table and spilled its contents around and under the radios and
keyboard. Talk about a mop up effort.

Highlights included being called at the same time by HI & AK early in the
contest. After I worked SC and then ME in a little over 6 hours, I only needed
ID for the sweep which was secured at 23:35.

Other highlights are that CQP is just great fun and kicks off the "contest
season."

73, Ken, K6LA