[3830] CaQP W8MJ Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 4 17:21:39 EDT 2004

                    California QSO Party

Call: W8MJ
Operator(s): W8MJ
Station: W8MJ

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MI

  160:    2      0
   80:   52      4
   40:   87     52
--------------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

This was my 14 year at CQP, and it seems they get more challenging as time goes
on.  This year was especially more challenging with the sun spot cycle
continuing its decline.  Plus it has been five months since I had been on the
radio, so it was time to shake out the cob webs.  The first hour seemed ok, and
pretty much mirrored previous years starts, but then things began to slow down
from there.  I felt like I really used the 2nd radio quite a lot more this year,
compared to other years, and lets face it the unansered Cq's on the main rig
will force you to go looking on the 2nd one.  The first day 10 meters finally
opened up, but later in the afternoon and only for a hour or so.  Fifteen and
Twenty meters seem to be the productive bands for me this year, and 40 & 80
certainly helped fill in the gap.  I ended the first day over 200 q's behind
last year, and was really not optimistic of breaking the 1000 q  barrier given
the condintions.  However, the 10 meter opeing on Sunday afternoon was a welcome
suprise, and help pay off in 3 of last 4 remaining hours of the contest.

I didn't get my sweep until early Sunday afternoon.  Thanks to W6IXP/R he heard
my Cq for California stations, especially Alpine County.  He popped in to tell
me that he was in Nevada but heading for Alpine County.  He came back to find
me, and gave me #1 to finish up the sweep about 40 minutes later.  I felt so
grateful for getting the last county, that I gave up my frequency to him so he
could starting running.  For some reason it always seems good to get that sweep.
It kind of brings confirmation of a pay off for sitting in the chair for all
those hours working to get it.

As always, this has been a great QSO party to participate in, and a great way to
start the contest season.  Thanks for all the q's, and I look forward to it
again next year.

Miscellaneous:

Unique Calls Worked = 417

2nd Radio Contacts =  393