[3830] JARTS VA7ST Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 17 20:45:11 EDT 2004

                    JARTS WW RTTY Contest

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:

   80:   34    68    11
   40:   74   148    14
   20:  282   701    69
   15:  188   488    58
   10:    8    23     4
-------------------------
Total:  586  1428   156  Total Score = 222,768

3 ele. tribander at 45'
80/40 dipoles
40M -- 88' vertical doublet

Super contest. Last year was lousy, but 2002 was my best score in this one --
till now. First day, I almost caught that best-ever level, then blew past it to
beat my goals (shaping up as the weekend dragged on) of 500 Qs and 200,000
points.

Year    QSOs   Pts.   Mults    Score
2002    321    785      119    93,415 points
2003    114     --       46    12,926
2004    586   1428      156   222,768 points

Worked two VKs this time -- VK6HD called me in the final half hour on 20M, off
the back of the beam, and VK4FNQ called on 15M... I had given up hope of any
Aussie multipliers. Worked many terrific DX ops, and a few of what I consider
rare ones.

Searched for ages for a ZL until I found ZL2AMI loud and strong on 15M Sunday
afternoon.

Biggest thrill this time? A call on 15M by 9I4OZ and then finding him on 20M.
5U7B was fun, too. Listened to 10M a lot over the weekend, but it was in and
out, and never gave up much in the way of stations -- worked LU ops mostly, with
W4UK the only stateside station I heard or worked.

Then on Sunday afternoon I saw a spot for CN8KD on 10M. Flipped the dipole in
line to see what the band had going on. Heard a signal where he was supposed to
be, but couldn't read anything. Turned the beam on him: nothing. Listened while
turing the beam, and found the signal peaking out of the south (not northeast as
the heading said it should be). Worked him on the first call, with the beam
pointed just east of south (170 degrees). Never paid attention to DX spots ever
before (when they are allowed) but the yagi makes them more realistic to
consider -- at least when you're doing nothing much anyway, hi.

Anyway, had a blast once again. Thanks to all for the contacts and for trying.

73, Bud VA7ST