[3830] PaQP K4AQ Single Op CW QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Oct 19 16:17:23 EDT 2004

                    Pennsylvania QSO Party

Call: K4AQ
Operator(s): K4AQ
Station: K4AQ

Class: Single Op CW QRP
QTH: Kill Devil Hills, NC

--------------------
Total:   33     0  Mults = 27  Total Score = 3,073.0

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

http://www.nittany-arc.net/parules.html

My third PaQP:

          Score      CW     Ph    Pts     Mult    Bonus     Time
2004*     3,073      33      0    49.5     27     2x200      3.0
2003**   12,180      71     32   145.0     42     zilch      9.2
2002**   13,765      66     44   148.5     45     2x200     13.2
*K4AQ, ARLHS Convention, Kill Devil Hills, NC, Grid: FM25ex
    35.99995 -75.64826, 35 59.997 -75 38.8956,
    35d 59m 60s -75d 38m 54s
**WB6BWZ, Atlanta, GA

Score includes QRP Bonus Multiplier (2x) and W3UU Bonus Station contacts (2).

Very part-time operation from the third annual ARLHS (Amateur Radio Lighthouse
Society) Convention (Clarion Hotel On the Ocean), Kill Devil Hills (next to
Kitty Hawk), North Carolina.
http://www.choicehotels.com/ires/hotel/nc416
http://arlhs.com/

My hotel room was on the fourth (top) floor, westside, second room south of
center (front of building). Nominal noise level was S-8 (500 Hz IF filter) and
no pre-amp. (The nominal noise level at my home QTH in Atlanta is S-9.)

I used an OCF 28-gauge insulated wire stealth antenna, approx 100 feet
end-to-end, installed Friday night after 0100 ET. From my balcony, one wire was
"sling-shot'd" into a low pine tree about 45 degrees left of vertical and 10
feet away from the building. (Half-ounce fishing lead weight were attached to
the wire ends.)  The other wire was dropped into low shrubs about 5 degrees
right of vertical and 3 feet away from the building. The excess wire was allowed
to bunch on the shrubs (end loaded coil? hi).

Both wires were brought together and tied to the balcony steel railing with a
velcro strap. The wires were twisted together loosely for about 8 feet, routed
through the balcony doorway, and attached to an SGC SG-211 Smartuner.

The antenna tuned up fine on all bands, 160-10m, but my operating time from
convention activities limited me to 40m for the PaQP.

I removed the antenna after 2330 ET Tuesday night.

Only one ARLHS member, located in a room below me, noticed the antenna. I was
his prime suspect when he remembered that I operated from the ARLHS convention
hotel at St Simons Inn at the Lighthouse (in Georgia) with indoor reel dipole
and 80-ft loop antennas. (St Simons Inn 4th floor suites had no balconies or
windows that opened to the outside.)
http://www.StSimonsInn.com/

Yaesu FT-897 transceiver operated at 5 watts into an OCF 28-gauge insulated wire
stealth antenna up 35 feet (described above). SGC SG-211 Smartuner. MicroHAM USB
rig interface. WriteLog 10.48f.

--Matt, K4AQ (ex-WB6BWZ)