[3830] NA Sprint CW W1NN(@AC8E) HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Sep 13 21:34:19 EDT 2004

                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: W1NN
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: AC8E

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 3:59

---------------------

Team:

Comments:

Thanks to John AC8E for use of his extremely fine station.  It was the first
time I have had a chance to operate this contest from a real station in many
years.  John's station is beautifully set up and everything worked fine (except
for the operator).

Aside from rustiness I encountered two problems: using the name OJAN and
operating from a new QTH.  Around 60% of stations needed a repeat on the name
the first time I worked them and another 20-30% needed a fill on my QTH.  Some
needed both, of course.  (Very few of the "usual suspects" needed fills,
incidentally.) To minimize this problem, I dropped my speed way, way back.  This
helped but did not eliminate the problem.  Lesson: don't use a weird name in the
Sprint, especially not the first time you operate from a new section; a simple,
predictable exchange is worth about 1,400 watts and a tower.

By far the best event in contesting.

73,

Hal W1NN