[3830] WAE SSB ON6NL Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Sep 14 14:50:10 EDT 2004

                    WAE DX Contest, SSB

Call: ON6NL
Operator(s): ON6NL
Station: ON6NL

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Kinrooi

   80:   22          52
   40:   94          78
   20:  637         102
   15:  779         120
   10:   91          48
-------------------------
Total:  624   999   400  Total Score = 649,200

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

Very proud on my 10th place world wide I felt I had to be there also this year.
Got the full support of my wife which is a first condition for succesful
contesting. Had just time to put up a deltaloop for 40 but pointing
North-East/South-West it did not help for the US of course. Conditions were very
good on Saturday and good on Sunday. Even 10 meters opened up to a limited part
of Middle and South America and Africa. Inspite of my simple dipole and delta
loop I managed to get some nice multipliers on 40 and 80. The directivity of the
delta loop was obvious getting easy through to HK, TI, 9Y, PY, LU etc. With some
struggling also the US prefixes came in the log. Best low-band QSO was DU where
I was beating some of the big guns in the pile-up!
20 was only open for relative short periods during the day whith these high
MUFs, so great show was going on on 15 and that is a big advantage with 100W. On
Saturday afternoon I even got the courage to call CQ and with success! Only some
small problems here. Heavy static rain on Saturday evening but I could escape to
15m. At some moment on Sunday afternoon the antenne did not stop in the North
and I saw that only when the clock said it was pointing to 900 degrees! I
thought I was lucky as I still had signals but an hour later suddenly every went
too quiet! It was already dark but I climbed my mast and at the light of a
tortch I attached the coax again to the beam. Don't tell this stunt to my wife
but this effort brought me least 400 QSO/QTC points!
N1MM worked great this year! Lost only about 10 QTCs. If I made a typo in the
time of a QTC (720 for 0720), every thing went wrong and I did see that mostly
only after some QTCs. Also the score does not show how many QSOs and QTC you
have per band but that is not relevant in the contest. I expected some special
message like K1EA put into CT when I worked N1MM himself but nothing happened
:=(. Thanks everybody for the QSOs and giving a little pistol not the cold
shoulder when begging for QTCs!
Rig was a TS850, KT34A, deltaloop for 40, inv-V for 80.