[3830] ARRL Sep VHF K3EAR(K9PW) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Sep 15 09:01:04 EDT 2004

                    ARRL September VHF QSO Party

Call: K3EAR
Operator(s): K9PW
Station: K3EAR

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: EPA

  1.2:   63    21
  2.3:   27    18
  3.4:   20    13
  5.7:   14    11
  10G:   22    11
  24G:    5     2
-------------------
Total: 1177   330  Total Score = 660,990

Congrats to Jeff.  His score sets a new single-op record, beating W5ZN's June
'98 score.  June isn’t the only contest for big scores!

Special thanks to Walt & Russ.  Using the K3EAR station to do a single-op
certainly was fun.

A little tropo to 9-land at the end of the contest helped.  But it wasn’t
enough.  It looks like this may be the closest finish ever.

I find it interesting to look at the differences experienced by operating in
different areas of the country.  When compared to the Chicago area, the east
coast does have more activity but it’s not as significant as I initially
expected.  The east coast doesn’t have 2 times or 3 times the number of active
stations.  Perhaps 50% more, if that.  On the east coast the contest has a
different fell because the bands sound much more active due to the number of big
stations & number of stations calling CQ.  Midwest stations need to call CQ
more!  Also, there is far more microwave activity on the east coast which really
keeps you busy and helps the final score.

73,
PW