[3830] ARRL Sep VHF K8MR/R Rover LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Fri Sep 24 10:42:17 EDT 2004

                    ARRL September VHF QSO Party

Call: K8MR/R
Operator(s): K8MR, W1NN
Station: K8MR/R

Class: Rover LP
QTH: 8 grids
Operating Time (hrs):

  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  288    80  Total Score = 25,280

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

This was my second rover attempt, and for W1NN his first real VHF contest. We're
making progress, but still have a long way to go.

We hoped to do 3 stops on Saturday, but that was too optimistic. We arrived at
our first stop, at the aptly named "town" of High Hill, OH in EM99, 30 seconds
before the contest started. In a way were lucky to get there at all, as we drove
past several "road closed - high water" signs on the way.  We saw high water and
dried mud on the road, but the earlier flooding had receded and we had no water
to drive through.

The site was a fine one, conditions were great, but we weren't organized in
time, especially for 222 and 432. With the good signals from the east coast at
the start on 2, we should have been able to work them on the higher bands had we
been ready.

We stayed at High Hill for several hours, but since Hal wanted to be back in the
Cleveland area for the CW Sprint at 0000z, we didn't have time for our planned
stops in EM89 or EN80.  After dropping Hal at AC8E for the sprint I headed west
for a quick visit to EN81 and then home.

Sunday morning we headed out to the Butler, PA, Hamfest. We did set up at the
edge of the flea market, made some qsos and talked to some visitors, but had no
qsos with the hamfest visitors.  We then headed north through FN01, setting up
near Union City, PA, in northwest FN01. From there we headed home, mobile only,
through FN02, EN92, and EN91.

Sunday morning I had a couple of the most remarkable qsos of my amateur career:
while driving on I-80 a couple miles west of the OH/PA line, I worked K1WHS in
FN43 on 2M cw, with just an IC-746 and a PAR Omni Loop. To prove it not a fluke,
10 minutes later from PA but still in EN91, I worked WB1GQR in FN33. These made
us almost forget the two mobile qsos with W1QK in FN31 and too many to keep
track of with W2SZ/1.

We did miss several of the usual multiop beacons, like W3KWH, K8CC, and K8GP.

More work before the next one: to better tune the WA5VJB yagis, to get 1296
working, and to be able to work 222 and 432 while moving.

73 -  Jim   K8MR