[3830] CQ WW RTTY P3F(5B4AGN) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Sep 27 03:19:59 EDT 2004

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: P3F
Operator(s): 5B4AGN
Station: 5B4AGN

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Pafos

   80:  142   413        0      40     7
   40:  645  1869       28      74    26
   20:  946  2775       37      75    29
   15:  828  2438       35      64    22
   10:   21    55        0      18    10
Total: 2582  7550      100     271    94  Total Score = 3,510,750

This was a lot of fun though at times on Sunday the bands were like a graveyard
here.  M

My first serious RTTY effort with my two Orions SO2R and they worked very well.
One noticeable benefit over my two FT1kMPs was being able to hear better on the
second rig whilst TXing on the first.  I use a single F12, C31XR here with three
feeders so with driven elements only inches apart the RF field in the second rig
is really nasty.  With FT1kMPs I could always feel the presence of my run TX
when listening on the second radio.  I don't hear anything from my run Orion.
Not only that but I was working within 1 kHz from my 40m second harmonic on 20m
for over an hour before I realised!  The combination of bomb proof front end and
very low phase noise really scores for SO2R use when antennas are close
together.

BTW I made my first attempt at a Website.  If you're interested you can see my
shack and antennas etc at www.5b4agn.net

I managed a slight advance on my QSO total over last year but mults are way
down.  We certainly feel it when 10m dies.  I did manage a few qsos there but no
US.  Sadly, I didn't manage a single US contact on 80m either.

Thanks to all the great RTTY ops out there for making my weekend fun.

My weekend irritant was those folks who say "Worked before".  It's time to
realise, with computer logging if a guy calls you it's usually because you're
not in his log!  So just shut up and work him!

Towards the end of the contest I had one fella say. "We've worked already.  How
many QSOs do you want?" I replied with, "You may think we've worked but you're
not in my log.  Now......Do you want a QSO or not?"  We then made a QSO.  If
this had happened earlier in the contest I wouldn't have wasted time on this
chump but it was late on and I wass scratching around for Qs anyway.

Last word:  I WILL stay awake longer next year.

73  Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F