[3830] CQ WW RTTY F6IRF SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Sep 27 06:40:43 EDT 2004

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: F6IRF
Operator(s): F6IRF
Station: F6IRF

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: JN35

   80:  242   517     incl>     62    11
   40:  407   981     incl>     95    21
   20:  421  1041     incl>    100    23
   15:  404  1087     incl>    102    26
   10:   13    32         0      9     8
Total: 1487  3658         0    368    89  Total Score = 1,671,706

My usual "small domestic station":
IC756 proII + my homebrew undestructible 4CX250 PA - 400W (still uses the same
pair of second hand tubes for now 20 years !)
Optibeam OB6-3M (2el/bd) @40 feet //  inv-V dipoles @60 feet
Software: N1MM Logger V4.0.119 - MMTTY (2xinstances)+built-in 756decoder
SO1R - No cluster or any kind of external assistance

1st serious attempt , but I'm getting too old for the full 48hours ;-)
The proof: I woke up one hour late at the start...
Anyway very low rate during the last hours, so guess it would have been
difficult (do not say impossible) to reach my initial 2Mpts objective even with
a full time work (however my feeling is that 48h is OK for 5 bands, but too long
for 4 - at least with a modest setup).
-The worst: Lost 2 hours starting to restart the PC after a power cut... at 1200
Q's after 30h of efforts, I  thought the contest was over and the log lost for
ever... terrrrriiiible feeling...
-The bad: Several EU-stations having several signals on the band or generating
various sorts of wide spread interferences - especialy hard on 20m with ant to
NE...  Several unbreakable pile-ups even at HP - For a part due to poor TTY
setup and/or operating skils from the DX stations (not everybody is HC8N...).
-The good: the rate-meter went several times above 100 for extended periods of
time.
-The best: the unexpected 10m opening to AS with  9M2/G4ZF,  DU1UGZ, VR2BG
logged in the same 10mn Sunday morning (thanks to the 756 spectrum !)
-The very best: I managed to restart the PC and recover the log!
(ooouuuufff...)

See you in the next one and thanks for the QSO's / special thanks for those (not
that many) who moved away from their harm-chair for this contest.
Patrick

PS: QSLL 100/100 but LOTW prefered (see qrz.com for details).

Last station tip "The poor man rotary dipole":  found that I could get my 40m
dipole NE/SW for 1st half of the night - NW/SE for second half, just moving 1
side (takes 5mn- a pocket lamp and some training... but definitely worth
doing...

stats "All bands"
DXCC: 91
WAS: 43