[3830] TxQP WM5S SO Mobile LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Sep 28 15:17:15 EDT 2004

                    Texas QSO Party

Call: WM5S
Operator(s): WM5S
Station: WM5S

Class: SO Mobile LP
QTH: Edinburg
Operating Time (hrs): 07:03

  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:   0     252      0  Mults = 99  Total Score = 49,896

Wow this was my first time to really get out and contest on my own and is was
great! I would like to thank all the guys that helped out with driving and
loaning me a mobile rig. Thanks to Richard and his son Russell, John and Kevin.
Saturday morning and we started out late and not knowing what I was doing for
the first hour or so. I was in John’s truck with a radio that I had never used
before but finally figured out after a while. Then about 2:30 I was told he had
to bailout on us which left me without a mobile rig. So a made hour dash back to
my house to get my excursion and get the High sierra mounted and borrow a rig
from my buddy Richard. It’s now 5:30 pm and we are heading to Cameron County
with the middle seat down and 3 rd seat is now were I sit to operate with a ICOM
737A which did a killer job for us. We parked out in the middle of a field and
started the fun. About 7:30 the band went flat on us and the day was over!
Sunday didn’t start till 1:30 and we had to drive as hard as we could to make it
back to Cameron Willacy county line. We got to operate short time before God
showed us the power of rain and lightning. Not to good when you are in the
middle of no where, and the only metal object for miles.
Over all it was great and everyone had fun and I am ready to hit it hard next
year. This time I will take my own vehicle and rig and hope to hit more than 6
counties. Thanks to all the fixed stations for spotting our locations. Also
thanks for the patience people had with me as I tried getting use to the new
contesting software and radio.
73’s
Mark Self
WM5S/M