[3830] GaQP K4AQ M/S QRP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Apr 13 01:03:33 EDT 2005

                    Georgia QSO Party

Call: K4AQ
Operator(s): K4AQ, W3DCG
Station: K4AQ

Class: M/S QRP
QTH: 5 GA counties

   20:  107     4
--------------------
Total:  220     4  CW Mults = 38  Ph Mults = 3  Total Score = 18,204

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

http://gqp.contesting.com/Rules.htm

BAND    CW      PH   MULTS
===========================
80       23      -      1
40       89      -     12
20      107      4     28
15        1      -     --
10      ---      -     --
---------------------------
        220      4     41

Contact Points:   CW(220 * 2) + PH(4 * 1) = 444
Multipliers = 41 States/Provinces (38 cw + 3 ph)

Multipliers
-----------
 CT  MA  NH  RI  NY  NJ  PA  AL  FL  GA  NC
 SC  TN  VA  NM  OK  TX  CA  AZ  ID  MT  NV
 UT  WA  WY  MI  OH  WV  IL  IN  WI  CO  IA
 KS  MN  MO  SD  ON  BC

Our first Multi-Single QRP Georgia QSO Party, operated "Field Day" style (5
counties in two days):

   County         Score     CW     PH     Mult    Time
   ROCKdale       2,900     48      4      29      2.3
   WALTon           924     33      -      14      1.3
   MORGan         1,216     38      -      16      1.4
   BARRow         2,916     54      -      27      3.0
   GWINnett       2,068     47      -      22      2.0
   Total           n/a     220      4     n/a     10.0

DXCC (all on 20cw, approx 5000-mi, 1000+ mi/watt)
----
091935z LY3BA, Lithuania, 5028 mi (ROCK)
091937-
091945z DL5MC, DL3GA & DL9AWI, Germany, 4596 mi (ROCK)
092121z I4IKW, Italy, 5005 mi (ROCK)
092139z SP4JWR, Poland, 4965 mi (ROCK)
092357z LA9SN, Norway, 4358 mi (WALT)
100005z DL9AWI, Germany, 4596 mi (WALT)
102205z I4IKW, Italy, 5005 mi (GWIN)

Six hours before GQP was to kick off on Saturday, I received a surprise phone
call from my nephew Darin, W3DCG, asking if he could join me, "...just for one
day."

Darin's commute from Marietta to my QTH in Atlanta should have been a no-brainer
EXCEPT for a major accident that shutdown the southbound traffic on I-75.

1. ROCKdale County (Saturday), 20 & 40m

Plan A was to operate from the I-20 Exit 78 Rest Area near Conyers.

   Problem: There was no rest area at Exit 78.

Plan B was to operate at a commercial tower site where our employer's paging
radio equipment is located. That location is 5.5 miles NE of Plan A's
location.

While enroute to the Plan B site, we kept our eyes open for city/county parks or
abandoned/unimproved land where we could set up a portable station. None were
sighted.

We decided to stop at a convenience store about half way to our Plan B site and
asked if they knew where the parks were in Conyers. They were no help. However,
a senior citizen who just drove up in a pickup truck as we were about to leave
suggested and gave us directions to Pine Log County Park. It was a perfect
site.

We parked in an adjacent church parking lot. Darin used my slingshot to launch a
random wire as a 20m Half Square. The SW end was in a tree; the NE end was
fastened to a 23-ft 3-section telescopic painter's pole from Home Depot.

The antenna was end-fed on the NE end using an SGC SG-211 MiniSmartuner. A 33-ft
counterpoise was laid on the ground under the antenna.

We tried phone in every county without success except for this county where we
had four SSB QSOs (RI, CO, TX); it was on 20m.

My original antenna plans for all bands were to use an end-fed Inverted-L (33 ft
up) and the vehicle for a counterpoise and a counterpoise elevated random wire
or an 80-ft "magnetic" vertical loop.

However, when Darin teamed up with me at the last minute, I decided to let him
try some of his antenna ideas. I tossed a hank of used 28-gauge insulated wire
to him for a starter (which he chose to use). It was one of my portable wires
that I used from my motel room at the Outer Banks (NC) last October. I also
brought a 2000-ft and 2500-ft wooden spools of new 18-ga insulated wire.

2. WALTon County (Saturday), 20 & 40m

It was a painful decision to pack up and leave ROCKdale county; we were having
fun working stns as well as DX.

The plan was to set up in or near the Walton State Fish Hatchery in the southern
corner of the county.

We used the same antenna setup that was used in ROCKdale county except the
antenna ends pointed NW and SE.

The only unwelcomed guests were mosquitoes. ;)

We enjoyed the sunset which peeked between the pine trees; however, the sunset
also reminded us that we had to move on to the next county because time would be
needed to dismantle the antenna and station equipment, then unload and setup the
portable station at the next site.

3. MORGan County (Saturday), 40 & 80m

My plan was to operate from the I-20 MilePost 103 Rest Area in MORGan county. It
would have restroom facilities *and* lots of lighting.

We would work 40 & 80m so Darin set up the antenna (same 28-ga wire) as an
end-fed Inverted-L, up 23 ft, with the far end pointing NNE.

4. BARRow County (Sunday), 15-40m

Darin was one happy boy today. He got a "kitchen pass" to play radio for a
second day!

We headed towards the northern corner of the county (I-85 Exit 126). We scouted
the edges of a shopping center (lots of trees) across from Chateau Elan Golf
Club; it had possibility except for powerlines.

Driving further along GA-211, we stopped at a new subdivision development. The
road in the subdivision was muddy so we continued on GA-211. We had to make a
decision soon because we were running out of county.

That's when we saw a road for a what appeared to be an abandoned subdivision.
The road doubled back and went up a small hill. It was an ideal location! A
quick check with my FT-817 (backup radio) confirmed a very low-noise level.

There were large trees for our antenna -- the power pole transformer appeared to
be disconnected -- and no homes close by.

Darin decided to try another antenna idea, a 20m two half-wave horizontal
colinear array end-fed with a half-wave vertical wire. There is an open-wire
phasing line between the two half-wave horizontal wires that was made from the
same wire as the elements.

Darin staked out the measurements on the ground and built the wire antenna using
new 28-gauge insulated wire.

The antenna pointed to the West (broadside N-S). The SG-211 MiniSmartuner was
used with the same 33-ft counterpoise wire on the ground under the antenna.

Our only 15m QSO was from this site. K4EA/CHER was at the other end.

The panoramic view "on top of the world" was fantastic. Our operating time was
the longest from this site (3 hrs).

We had to "break camp" at 1530 ET for our final deployment. It would either be
HALL or GWINnett county.

5. GWINnett County (Sunday), 20 & 40m

We drove by the abandoned Rest Areas on I-985 (SW of Exit 16) near the towns of
Oakwood and Flowery Branch in HALL county.

Our final destination would be I-85S Rest Area #76 just north of the I-85/I-985
split.

The stn setup was the same as that used in BARRow county (broadside NE-SW).

Our final QSO #224 was logged at 2357z (1957 ET) with W1TO/MA on 40cw.

===========================

Darin's comments:

I know I had a blast, figuring out what to do for an antenna at each different
site. On Sunday, we only went to two counties.

I had an idea for trying to get more multipliers (states) instead of only
points, since Saturday (running-NOT S/P, but CALLING CQ GQP!) we netted a
1000/mi per watt contact so Matt could be happy. Darin, Is happier with
maximized point values and rate.

So on Sunday at our first site I drove 3 stakes in the ground to quickly measure
and made up a 20m 2 half waves in phase end fed flat-top, fed by a half wave 20m
vertical element. It worked great on 40m and did get out west loudly enough for
us to run (call CQ) with satisfying results, on 20m, as well as get to the NE
loudly.

As far as high traffic public venues, we operated at 2 rest areas and 1 county
park, so keeping in mind high voltage points of the antennas is something I'll
take into account for any future escapades!

(The other 2 locations were secluded, the one at Chateau Elan was absolutely
perfect, on a knoll surrounded by green fields and a new subdivision, it was
gorgeous and quiet (low noise).

Man, did I sleep well Sunday night, I was tapped out tired. 5 counties, 5
different field deployments.

BTW, we went with 28 GUAGE WIRE for the entirety. On day 2, we discovered that
28 ga lended itself best for fast deployment, via high-quality monofilament 18
pound fishing line as the primary support "ropes." We were able to let the reel
hang about 5 1/2 feet above groud on the far end of the antenna, to keep
everything taut and in good shape. :)

===========================

Rig: Yaesu FT-897 transceiver operated at 5 watts.
---

Antennas
--------

1. End-fed 20m Half Square up 23-25 feet. (20-40m, Saturday afternoon)

2. End-fed 113-ft Inverted-L up 23 feet. (40-80m, Saturday evening/night)

3. 20m 2 half-waves in phase flat-top, end-fed by a half-wave 20m vertical
element (15-40m, Sunday)

Misc
----

SGC SG-211 MiniSmartuner (unbalanced), microHAM USB rig interface, WriteLog
10.53e.

Power Sources

AGM/SLA batteries, 400-watt inverters for 120 vac to power Dell Latitude
Laptop.

Roasted Peanuts, Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches, Coca-Cola, coffee, bottled
water and bottled lemonade; Waffle House on the way home early Sunday morning.

--
Matt K4AQ, Atlanta GA
Darin W3DCG, Marietta GA