[3830] MiQP K8MR/M Mobile Multi-Op LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Apr 20 11:13:28 EDT 2005

                    Michigan QSO Party

Call: K8MR/M
Operator(s): K8MR, W8DRZ
Station: K8MR/M

Class: Mobile Multi-Op LP
QTH: 19 Counties

   80:  169     29
   40:  404     76
   20:  132      5
   15:    3      3
   10:    2      4
--------------------
Total:  703    117  CW Mults = 63  Ph Mults = 43  Total Score = 161,438

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

By County:

      CW   SSB
OTSE  24    0
ANTR  40    9
CHAR  46    4
EMME  30    2
CHEB  29    3
PRES  44    6
MTMO  44   13
ALPE  38    3
ALCO  48    5
OSCO  39    8
CRAW  29    5
ROSC  37   15
OGEM  35    3
IOSC  49    8
AREN  55   27
BAY   51    0
SAGI  32    2
GENE  38    3
LIVI  12    1

Mults:
        CW   SSB
MI      26    16
Outside 37    27

W8DRZ & I started off the 2005 mobile contest season with an enjoyable trip
around the northern lower peninsula.  Conditions were not as good as last year,
but after suffering through the usual bad conditions in the Ohio QSO Party in
August, we have an idea of what to do about it.  The main difference was 75
meter SSB operation. We had only 3 Michigan counties on phone in the first 7
hours, all local qsos up north. We figured if we could work only the loud fixed
stations on 75 we'd get a bunch of mults, and we did. We even CQed up a couple
others as well. The best success was before dark, before the usual 75 meter
idiots showed up for their evening drunk. All 75 meter operation was while
parked, so we could have the 80CW antenna on while moving.

All but one of the 10 and 15 meter qsos were with K8MQP, as we passed by plus or
minus a couple of counties.

The only techical problem was the computer not talking to the radio. It turned
out not to be much trouble. Two days later I realized that the last time I had
used the laptop for real operating was CW SS at W8AJ, where it had been
configured for an IC-781, not my IC-746.

We navigated perfectly. The only snow we saw was on the ski slopes at Boyne
Mountain and another unknown ski area north of Petosky. We did see a couple of
bugs while parked in ROSC, but no big deal.

Operating highlight was getting the 10 qso timer to 223/hr, on 80 CW from GENE
about 0330z. Moving between modes with KU8E and K5OT was fun and efficient. I
also managed to move several mults to SSB, thanks to VE2AWR, K0GSV, N4JF, and
K3TM.

I also enjoyed listening to W8BD on 3864.7 politely but firmly telling the 3865
idiots to go away, that he was there first and planned to spend a few more
minutes there before he left when he felt like leaving.

See you all in the Ohio QSO Party on Saturday, August 27.  Jim & I may also be
heading west in a couple weeks to check out the Indiana QSO Party.

73  -  Jim K8MR   &   Jim W8DRZ