[3830] NAQP CW AA4LR Single Op LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 7 13:03:17 EDT 2005

                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:

   10:    8     7
-------------------
Total:  445   147  Total Score = 65,415

Club: South East Contest Club

Team: SECC #3

Comments:

Equipment:
K2/100 w/ KAT100 running 100 watts
Kenwood TS-430S / AT-250 running 100 watts (160m only)
CQPWin 10.01 software

Antennas:
Cushcraft A3S @ 15m (10, 15, 20m)
1/4 wave sloper @ 12m (40m)
80m doublet @ 10m (40, 80, 160m)
Shunt-fed 15m tower (80m)

Comments:

Hadn't planned a huge effort, but had so much fun that this snowballed into
nearly a full-time run. Had a few interruptions in the afternoon, as my wife
chose to paint the interior of some kitchen cabinets.

Found few pickings on 10m. It was open, but not strongly, at the start. Kept
going back to check it, but nothing new heard in several trips. I think 10m and
15m are suffering from the "mental" sunspot low -- People figure it isn't open
and don't spend enough time there to realise that it is.

Had good runs on 20m, 40m and 80m. Probably spent more time running stations
than S & P. (which is a pretty strong statement for this op's CW skills)

Big money bands were 80m, 40m and 20m, in that order. I usually have trouble
holding my own on the lower bands, but managed a really great run when I moved
to 80m at 0200z. Rate meter quickly pegged 100 for 20 mnutes. The shunt-fed
tower works well on this band, now that I have 25 radials down.

160m was a complete gift. Made one quick pass early and worked five stations and
thought that would be it. At 0400z, felt up for another pass and found 19 more
stations in 21 minutes.

Only passed one station the entire contest - that was K4BAI from 80m to 40m for
the GA mult. Seems a lot of "easy" multipliers went missing on 40m - like AL.

While this isn't a personal best for NAQP CW in August, I did feel like I was
playing on a whole different level by being able to run stations effectively.
The practice with MorseRunner and FD are starting to pay off.

Sorry to KU8E for asking for so many name repeats. I kept copying PFF over and
over for some reason. Sorry, Jeff.

Go SECC!