[3830] WAE CW YI9VCQ Single Op LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Aug 15 09:05:30 EDT 2005

                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: YI9VCQ
Operator(s): YI9VCQ
Station: YI9VCQ

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Iraq

   80:    0     0     0
   40:    1     0     1
   20:  316   303    33
   15:   30    25    14
   10:    2     0     2
-------------------------
Total:  349   328    50  Total Score = 68,276

Started out on 20m with a decent pace given the conditions. Moved to 40m and
made one QSO but did hear K1TTT who
was very loud. Wow....winter conditions on the low bands! K1TTT was also heard
weakly on 15m later in the day. Did manage
a few new countries like Argentina and Liberia (non-credit).

Most of my QTC's were sent to FB Russian operators. Russia and Germany are my
bread and butter stations during most
contests. Just like the USA, Asia started coming in strongly during the day. The
second day was better for EU.

I had a rough start sending QTC's with Writelog but caught on quickly. This
contest is as much fun IMHO as Sweepstakes
since there's an additional element of skill added. switching from the QTC send
window to keyboard mode requires a little
manual dexterity since I didn't use a key. Heck, I can copy faster than I can
send now so a key makes me sound QLF.

Conditions dried up on 20m at around XXXX UTC and I could hear USA at 55, so I
worked all who called me. I even worked
my QSL manager--N3ST. Too cool.

My apologies to UL8N and compliments for him staying with me during "technical
difficulties". I was trying to send QTC's
but ended up having the QTC send window located on top of my CW keyboard window.
So, I couldn't send manually for fills. I
finally fixed the problem after a few false starts. It's amazing how Mr. Murphy
gets you in the middle of a contest since this
was not my first QTC sequence HI HI!

Equipment:
Icom 706MkIIG at 100w
20m Dipole