[3830] SCC RTTY VA7ST SOAB LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 28 12:51:38 EDT 2005

                    SCC RTTY Championship

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SOAB LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:    1    2     1
   40:   45   90    31
   20:   73  153    41
------------------------
Total:  119  245    73  Total Score = 17,885

Thanks to the SCC for this contest. It's always fun. Some pretty good scores on
the list for this one -- but not here. Surpassed previous two years, but felt I
should have done better. Just didn't hear a lot of stations, in part due to prop
but mostly because of severe line noise from a pole a block and a half east of
me.

80m was vacant except W9HLY late Saturday night. No CA stations, which surprised
me. 40m was in and out, but activity seemed very thin. Nothing on 15M at all.
20m would have been better if I could hear stations through the noise.

Guess a weekend may be better spent on other things till the local S8 power line
noise situation gets resolved by BC Hydro. Not holding my breath, though. BC
Hydro has been cooperative, but they haven't fixed the problem. I've had two
crews inspect the suspect pole, and they both concluded that everything's fine.
Going on a year of this now, and it's getting worse.

Wish the BC Hydro folks understood the real impact of this problem. Steady
buzzing and noise like bacon frying peaks within a 100-foot radius of the pole.
On the backyard yagi and wire antennas (maybe 400 feet away) it buries all but
the loudest signals from 160-6M. When it rains the noise drops considerably, but
alas, we don't get much rain here.

If anyone's interested in hearing the noise, I'll post updated recordings on the
website:

http://www3.telus.net/va7st/audio.htm

Naturally, I will be back for more, noise or not, in the next contest. Can't
keep a good ham down.