[3830] CQWW CW G3TXF SOAB HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sat Dec 3 04:46:35 EST 2005

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: G3TXF
Operator(s): G3TXF
Station: G3TXF

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Devon

  160:  301    14       53
   80:  627    19       75
   40:  737    20       83
   20: 1571    31       92
   15:  361    23       69
   10:   68    11       26

Club: CDXC Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

Excellent conditions on the low bands. Great to work two all-time new ones on
160m : TZ5A and FP/K8DD.

Spent the three days prior to CQWW CW putting up the antennas for six bands. All
was ready by about 19z on Friday evening, just in time for a few hours snooze
before the start of the contest.

During the contest there's so much going on. There's no time to think. I had
noticed that signals on 15m weren't getting louder when I turned the beam, but I
didn't think much of it at the time. I just thought it was the conditions on HF.
However when I went outside early on Monday morning after the Contest in order
to start taking down all the antennas, I noticed that the 15m beam was to the
North-East. That's an odd direction for the end of the contest. Then it struck
me. In my haste to assemble everything at the last minute (in the dark), somehow
the 10m and 15m rotator boxes had got swapped over. When I was "turning the beam
on 15m", in fact I was turning the 10m beam and vice versa. Do-oh!

Anyway, apart from this unbelievably stupid error on my part, it was a fun
contest as usual. A six hour sleep session on Saturday night plus some other
short breaks resulted in 39 hours operating.

Station:
160m : Dipole at 70ft
80m : Dipole at 60ft
40m : Dipole at 50ft
20m : 3el at 70ft
15m : 4el at 70ft (but with the 10m rotator!)
10m : 4el at 70ft (but with the 15m rotator!)
Yaesu MP MkV + VL-1000 Quadra Amp

73 - Nigel G3TXF