[3830] ARRL 160 W3BBO Single Op LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 4 14:51:58 EST 2005

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W3BBO
Operator(s): W3BBO
Station: W3BBO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WPA
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 415  Sections = 63  Countries = 1  Total Score = 53,312

That was fun!  Thanks for all the QSOs.  Really appreciated.

A few months ago, I put up an inverted L for 40 and 80 meters.  It is a 3/4 wave
on 40 and 3/8 wave on 80 meters.  The vertical run is maybe 28 feet, then out to
a pole in the backyard. The ATU in the K2/100 and TS570S seemed to like it and
it worked quite well for me even though there are only 10 random length radials
underneath it.

But, I wanted to get on Top Band. So I built a switch box at the feedpoint with
relays to go direct to the wire on 40, switch in some capacitance on 80, or
switch in an inductor to load the wire on 160 meters.  The inductor was hand
wound, using #14 insulated wire on a PVC pipe.  I really didn't expect much from
it.

When I got into the contest Friday night, it was like being on 40 meters! Band
conditions were fantastic, but I guess contests can open a seemingly dead band.
I only operated for about 4 hours that first night and averaged 46 contacts an
hour, which for me is very good. It wasn't QRP, as I ran the K2/100 at 90 watts.
 However, at times 90 watts is QRP on 160 meters. Hi.

The inverted L hanging over the snow covered lawn played extremely well.  I
couldn't believe the stations that came back to me, even in pretty good pileups.
 Several times I was able to find a semi-clear frequency, call CQ and had small
pileups calling me. What fun!

I wonder how a 4-square plays?

73 de Bob W3BBO