[3830] ARRL 160 K5GO M/S HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 4 17:16:43 EST 2005

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K5GO
Operator(s): K5GO, K5LG, N5RR, K5LG
Station: K5GO

Class: M/S HP
QTH: AR
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 1430  Sections = 80  Countries = 25  Total Score = 314,475

Thinking about how much fun this contest was last year, knowing that I could
probably never match my effort from then, and really not wanting to sit in that
chair all night, I asked Les, K5LG, and Bill, N5RR, if they would like to work
it multi-operator.  N5DX had said he was a little burned out and didn't need to
be on the radio another weekend so soon after the last few contests but that he
would help some.

Most of the signals from Europe were pretty weak but we managed to get a few in
the log the first night.  QRN the second night was strong and only worked one.
Unusual to not work even one G station.

We either didn't have a good frequency or our receiving antenna is just better
than the transmit one because we only worked about a half dozen JA stations and
probably could have heard 50 or more that were active if they had called us.

I think we worked all 80 sections the first night, something that doesn't happen
in Sweepstakes all that often.

Kevin and I were on the radio early Sunday morning and I told him about 1230Z
that propagation just wasn't like I remember it being 30 years ago.  We just
didn't have those BIG sunrise peaks.  My recollection is that back then from
Arkansas you would work Europeans at their sunrise and JA at our sunrise when
the signals would peak significantly to strong levels.  You would not expect to
work Europe at 0200Z or JA at 1000Z.  A few minutes later I noticed and
commented on the sunrise peak we did have in the snoring level from Les who was
asleep in the 3rd chair  :-)

Maybe we will have a better transmit antenna next year.

73...Stan, K5GO