[3830] ARRL 10 K4XS SO Mixed HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 11 20:53:26 EST 2005

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: K4XS
Operator(s): K4XS
Station: K4XS

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: FL

   CW:  651    78
  SSB:  866    87
-------------------
Total: 1517   165  Total Score = 715,440

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

.......a contest of big contrasts, as expected for this part of the cycle.

Started Friday night working 50 stations in the first 15 minutes , including a
VK. Spend the next 3 hours working another 60 or 70 through the line noise from
two poles....one 500 feet to the east and one 1000 feet to the West (power
company is working on it!).  Hope conditions will be better in the morning.

Get up Saturday around 1130Z and work a large portion of the FCG and maybe
another 100 stations, including a YU who calls out of nowhere.  After around a
total of 200 or so by 1500Z, I decide to spend my weekend more
productively...filling out my Attu QSLs from my operation up there in August.

Just for fun I go back in the radio room at 1910Z and check out
conditions...much improved.  I decide to "play" for a little while and sit dwon
to operate at 1921Z.  Proceed to 188 stations in the next 40 minutes (28 of them
on CW).  In the next hour I run 239 (21 of them on CW).  Have one JA come back
to my CQ around 2200Z. Band slows down at 0000Z and I QRT to go out to dinner
with XYL.  Come back in around 0230Z and E-skip is hopping again.  Decide to
contest seriously again.  QRT at 0530Z with the band open but nobody on except
the hardcore.

Sunday get up at 1130Z and check out the bands...sounds crappy but now I'm
committed.  CT1 comes back to CQ on SSB and then F and some EAs, OHs.  Switch to
CW and UA, SM, CT2 and other goodies come back.  Work 27 Europeans on SSB and
CW, and a lot of the mults I missed the first day by going QRT...6W and the
Carribean stuff.  Wait for E skip to develop to Northeast like the first day,
does so half-heartedly and I spend the afternoon with mini-runs and S/P.  Spend
the last hour of the contest beaming to South America sucking around for QSO's
since the band is just about closed to everywhere else.  Finish the contest with
my last QSO as a dupe!

Like most I missed AK for the WAS and also missed ND on CW.  Boy, 10 sure is a
lot different at the topof the cycle!