[3830] ARRL 10 ZL4BR SO CW HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 12 02:58:58 EST 2005

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: ZL4BR
Operator(s): ZL4BR
Station: ZL4BR

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: New Plymouth

   CW:  670    78
  SSB:
-------------------
Total:  670    78  Total Score = 209,040

For the past two weeks have been hearing many of the 28.200-300 beacons and
indications were that 10m would produce the goods for the contest. The first day
there was a reasonable opening to North America followed by JA then Central Asia
and East Europe. But the opening to East Eu wasn’t very good and the band closed
around 0830utc.

The second day after a poor start there was a great but very brief opening to
W/VE followed by virtually nothing. In the afternoon and early evening, 0000 to
0630utc could only make 26 contacts. Virtually no opening to Asia/East Eu, no
beacons heard not even the usual VK2/3/5 beacons, and even the multitude of
Chinese and other Asian FM CB signals had gone. Around 0500utc about the only
signal I could hear was W6PU in NM who was S9 and who said I was S9+10 with him,
amazing. Band closed early at 0630utc (1930 local),

Final Monday morning session was quite good and managed to clean up nearly all
the missing US states, just DC, ID, RI and SD not worked, but final mults and
score still well down on last years 371k.

Right now at 0800utc (2100 local) the JA and VK beacons are back and 26-30MHz is
awash with the Chinese FM CB sigs !  Oh well I guess that’s life on 10m near the
bottom of the cycle. For further punishment will probably try my hand in the
Stew Perry next weekend.

73, Frank ZL4BR