[3830] ARRL 10 W0SD SO SSB HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 12 14:24:18 EST 2005

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: W0SD
Operator(s): W0SD
Station: W0SD

Class: SO SSB HP
QTH: SD

   CW:
  SSB: 1346    81
-------------------
Total: 1346    81  Total Score = 218,052

Worked WAS except for Alaska, the activity was excellent.  Still able to work
Africa, South America and VK/ZL but no Europe or Asia from the frozen
northland.
Thanks to everyone who called and my apologies to some that I could not hear.
The 5 elements with 7/8" heliax at 110 feet and the 8877 gives a lot of back
scatter off the ionization to the south and so you can hear me but sometimes I
just can't hear you.  Please always give it a try as quite often there is a bit
of meteor scatter enhancment or for a brief moment your signal gets a little
more back scatter reflection and I can hear you for a bit.  Some years I have a
little line noise or QRM problems but I had a lot of times this year with
absolutely no line noise and was able to get a clear frequency so most of the
time if I did not hear you it means you need a little more power or antenna gain
or antenna height.  If you got a QRZ from me another 2-3 db possible 1 db and I
would of been able to hear you.  If you can figure out a way to get 2-3 db more
you could work most of the stations on scatter if you get a QRZ from them.  For
some of you even better feed line might do it if you have a long run, double
your power or a higher antenna any of which can give you 2-3 db more back
scatter signal. I continue to be amazed at the difference in back scatter from
an antenna 110 foot high and one at 60 feet, just like night and  day!!!  Next
year I am seriously looking at a 4th antenna, a 5 element Hygain,   fixed SE at
200 feet with 7/8" heliax since we are looking at another 2 years, probably 3
years of no better than this year on F2.