[3830] ARRL 10 NU4SC(@W4MEL) M/S HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Dec 13 14:59:07 EST 2005

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: NU4SC
Operator(s): K3IXD, W4MEL
Station: W4MEL

Class: M/S HP
QTH: SC

   CW:  442    64
  SSB:  362    72
-------------------
Total:  804   136  Total Score = 338,912

Club: Low Country Contest Club

Comments:

This was W4MEL and my third time together at his QTH for this contest and the
first time with the club call. We are getting better, if only the band would
cooperate. Saturday AM we thought the rig died, no signals cross the band. We
even tried a back up radio, switching to a multi-band dipole, and going out to
the car to try another rig and antenna! But finally, after almost 2 hours, we
heard a signal. Sunday AM wasn’t quite as bad. But it wasn’t worth it being
there neither at sunrise either day. We did get some nice multipliers late
Saturday evening.

Highlights were being called by TF3YH and OH8JT while beaming west, a skewed
path off the back of the beam; being called by VK2CZ in the mist of an opening
to the western states; working VK4AN; and working S9SS off the back of the beam;
working FO5RH in the final hours of the contest. We never worked any Gs, Fs,
DLs, etc. We never heard any ZLs on phone but we saw the spots, on CW we worked
ZL3TE. We did get CU2JT, CT1DVV, EA1YP, EA7HP, EA8AH, EA8ASJ, SM2M, 5U7JB and
6W1EA stations.

If was frustrating to see packet spot of stations up and down the east coast, in
the Caribbean, etc. that we couldn’t hear. A far cry from running EU stations at
28.950 several years ago.

The set up was a Ten Tec Orion, Alpha 91B, Hex Beam at 45 feet, ¼ wave ground
mounted vertical with 12 radials, and N1MM Logger software. We put up the ¼ wave
vertical 50 feet from the Ashley River. We were hoping that it would compliment
the beam; however, we never made a QSO with it. Last year it was some what
useful. Next year we will not be taking the time to put up the vertical.

Overall, there were poor conditions in the Charleston, SC area but we were glad
to provide SC. We will be back next year.

de Ed, K3IXD