[3830] TBDC N2NL Single Op HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 18 13:53:26 EST 2005

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: N2NL
Operator(s): N2NL
Station: N2NL

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CA

Total:  QSOs = 341  Total Score = 1,552

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

TX antenna: Half wave sloper, top @ 125ft, bottom end at 60ft in a tree half way
down the hill (even with the hilltop).  QTH is on the top of a 120ft high hill
with a clear shot across salt water to the East.
RX antennas:
700ft Beverage antenna east
600ft Beverage antenna north-north east

   The weather forcasters out here suck.  The forcast for the weekend was for a
"slight chance of rain".  Saturday began foggy with drizzle, and ended with
heavy winds and the heaviest rain I've seen since Florida.  I'm glad I got the
receive antennas up because I couldn't hear anything on the TX antenna.  There
were still a few guys I just couldn't pull through out of the noise - that was
frustrating on my end - sorry!
   I operated until the antenna came down @ 0700Z.  The rope in the tree parted,
but fortunately it won't be hard to fix once the rain stops.  Funny that W0YK/6
lost his antenna at the same time.  Once the sun setted in Asia, I wouldn't have
been able to hear anything in that direction so I don't think I missed much.
   Fun contest overall - my best DX was JH4UYB, worked right at the start on
Saturday AM.  No Europe heard, although I tried.
   Best ears award goes to W4ZV for his patience in pulling a 5-watt K6BW out of
the  noise.  He's the only one east of the Mississippi to hear me with that
call.

Time to start bailing out the basement!
73, Dave N2NL/6