[3830] TBDC VA7ST Single Op LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 18 19:33:46 EST 2005

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:

Total:  QSOs = 124  Total Score = 858

Gear:
* Inverted-L -- 80' high, 50' horizontal
* N1MM Logger
* FT920 with InRad cascaded filter board

In the Thursday night NCCC half-hour practice, I managed over 100 points so I
figured I'd be able to make 1,000 in SP... missed it by 142 points. I could have
operated longer early Saturday evening. Started at about 6 p.m. local (0200z)
and heard a packed band with plenty of eastern U.S. Alas, I was fatigued after
RAC CW operation and took a few hours off before diving back into SP for the
evening, and by then the band was quite noisy and I worked mostly midwest and
western stations.

I thought I had been on more hours than N1MM Logger recorded, but looking back I
guess 5 hours was about right.

Best DX: JH4UYB in the first hour or so, 7 a.m. Pacific Saturday morning. First
JA on 160 for me -- he was surprisingly loud here, and the 34 points seemed
almost easy. Worked KV4 (U.S. Virgin Is.) and PJ2 on Saturday evening for
26-pointers, so I guess the inverted-L is working a little better with the extra
6 or so temporary long (100') radials I laid out on the snow, traipsing around
in the dark Friday and Saturday nights. Was surprised they heard me.

Best domestic "dx" FN20 and FM19 for 16 points apiece.

Stayed on the air till after midnight Sunday morning and got on for a few
minutes after 6 a.m. Sunday before leaving town for a 140-mile hockey road trip
with the kids.

Had a blast in the contest and at the hockey game. Our 12-yr-old is the goalie
and played his heart out even though they didn't win. After a weekend of
contesting in OK DX RTTY, RAC and SP, I feel the same way. Tired but happy, and
ready for plenty of R&R for the next couple of weeks.