[3830] TBDC K0RC Single Op LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 19 12:07:04 EST 2005

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: K0RC
Operator(s): K0RC
Station: K0RC

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MN

Total:  QSOs = 321  Total Score = 2,180

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

This is the first time running the Stew Perry Topband Challenge. It was a fun
event.

I used a Kenwood TS-950SDX at 100 watts, a full inverted vee with apex at 70 ft,
and a new 410 ft Beverage antenna. My rural location provides a low noise qth,
and the band seem exceptionally quiet this weekend. The Beverage provided only
one Q that would have otherwise been unreadable (AA5TB - EM12).

I used the N1MM Logger program (still learning it). The 10-minute rate meter hit
170 during one period, never to return that high again! I really like the idea
of grid squares for the exchange. It's more challenging than the 5nnZn synch
pulse in DX contests. I noticed when I got tired, the EM grid started sounding
like W and my mind was looking for the other letter! I needed a few repeats when
this happened.

I could tell several operators were glued to the CHECK CALL window as they would
come back with W0RY for my callsign. It took extra effort to get my call
corrected, but most operators caught on quickly. I suspect my call will be
busted in some logs. I am not listed in the current master databases as I had a
3-year hiatus from contesting.

Things really slowed down at the end. I think starting at 2230z was too late for
me. The band was pretty full when I made my first S&P pass. I operated about 12
of the 14 hours available.

I had a few questionable contacts, especially Jiri, OK1RI who appeared on
frequency during one of my runs. If this turns out to be a legitimate Q, that
would be the best DX. Next in line was KH6/N6KB which was another struggle to
know whether I got a confirmation of my grid from him. I have a few Caribbean
stations in the log, but otherwise I could not hear any DX at my qth. But I
didn't hear any east coast stations running Europeans either. I see other
reports of EU's being worked, maybe I need better ears?

I'm anxious to see the results to see where I placed in this event. I am one of
the members of the Minnesota Wireless Association. Our group has been moving up
in club rankings the past few years and my effort will support that goal.

73 de Bob - K0RC