[3830] CQWW CW N4TX SOAB HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Dec 20 14:21:53 EST 2005

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N4TX
Operator(s): N4TX
Station: N4TX

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:   40    11       20
   80:   76    14       42

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I was contesting in West Virginia in a house that wasn't completely built yet.
No electricity and no heat, and the outside temp was 24 degrees (F) overnight.
I used a generator, but it couldn't run both a heater and an amp, so I bundled
up and ran 500 watts.  That got the temp in the shack up to 28.

The house does have a new MonstIR yagi at 60 feet, but I discovered just before
the contest that there was a problem either in the antenna or the feed line,
which runs through the woods.  I couldn't fix it at night, so I resolved to work
the low bands with my inverted vees and attack the MonstIR in the morning.

Unfortunately, I took a bad fall at 5am local time while gassing up the
generator outside in the dark.  Finished the contest in the emergency room on
Saturday and didn't get back to operating or fixing the antenna.  So it was a
short effort (first night only) and on the low bands only.

But the house now has commercial power and the heating guys are at work, so
conditions there will improve for the remaining contests.

73, Steve, N4TX