[3830] CQWW CW KQ2M SOAB HP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Dec 22 14:13:22 EST 2005

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: KQ2M
Operator(s): KQ2M
Station: KQ2M

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: CT

  160:    0     0        0
   80:    0     0        0
   40:  358    15       49
   20:  524    25       67
   15:  252    17       46
   10:    0     0        0
------------------------------
Total: 1134    57      162  Total Score = 721,605

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

I was originally supposed to operate in V4 on a very quick "fly-in / fly-out"
basis, but due to family and business committments, it was not possible.  I
didn't want to miss getting on, but I also knew that I only had a very limited
time to operate.  In addition, the 40 meter wire 4-square (I don't have a
rotatable 40 meter antenna) and the 80 and 160 antennas were under the snow.

I hooked up part of the station on Saturday and concentrated on EU runs on one
radio, with a very brief period of barefoot 2nd radio mult hunting on Sunday
(other amp. broken).

WOW!!!  Give me these bottom of the cycle conditions anyday!
15 was more marginal than CQWW SSB due to the high auroral readings, but still
provided many surprises with VQ9JC, SP1NY/MM, FR5BT, and ST0RM all calling in.

20 was just outrageous even with my shortened beams - I could actually hold a
freq. for a change, and, even though W3PP decided park on me, 80 hz away, (was
that really necessary or appropriate?)and refuse to move, I still had a good
run.  I think that 20 was SO good, that a lot of people didn't want to leave it
to go to 15, even though 15 was marginally open for quite a few hours both
days.

40 was really amazing - I was able to work ER4DX - with S9 signals!!! at 1805z,
which is the first time that I ever worked an EU station from here at 18z and
more than 3 hours before sunset!  Also, even with my 3L wire beam fixed NE at
50', several JA's called in longpath as well as UP5G and HS0ZAR (thanks
Fred!).

>From what I have seen, 80 was absolutely mind-boggling, and I deeply regretted
not having up my wire 4-square to enjoy it.

CQWWCW was great as usual, with phenomenal activity, wild rates and lots of
juicy mults.  The best part, as always, was being able to say hello to so many
friends, and to know that I will have the pleasure of being able to say "Hi" to
them again next year in CQWW.

Thanks to all the travelers and dxpedition stations for putting on those mults
and adding to the fun.  Thanks to everyone else for the q's!

73 and Happy Holidays!
Bob KQ2M