[3830] NCCC Sprint(12-30) W1AF(AA9RB) LP

webform@b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Fri Dec 30 10:46:31 EST 2005

                    NCCC Thursday Sprint (12-30)

Call: W1AF
Operator(s): AA9RB
Station: W1AF

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MA
Operating Time (hrs): .5

  160:
   80:   4      .06
   40:  11      .44
   20:
---------------------
Total:  15     Mults = 7  Total Score = 105

Club: HARVARD WIRELESS CLUB

Comments:

After about 4-5 years away from my on/off HS and college recreational contest
career, I've been getting back into contesting from W1AF.

My first NCCC sprint.  Seems like a good contest format for a busy grad student
(1st year Ph.D. in government/poli sci).  Can run up to the shack, work some
quick contacts, and get back to studying.  Thursday night is also ideal, since
Thursday is the middle of my real "weekend" as a grad student.

Major challenge from this site is receive capability.  On 40 we have a beam that
works really well.  80 m was really noisy last night--sounded like a combination
of storm crashes and urban noise.  If 20 is active, the X7 and 10-el log
periodic are extremely effective.

Next challenge is getting a computer keyer (sorry for sending errors) and
setting up SO2R.  We have a TS950 and IC781 at the site.  IC781 currently only
radio being pressed into service.

Looking forward to a second try next week.

73,
Clayton
AA9RB